Fatal collision 27 July 2016 London Road, Leicester, Leicestershire

Last updated 12 June 2017
London Road, Leicester, Leicestershire (show full map)
Casualties Sam Boulton, 26 (fatality)
Time of incident 1:20pm, 27 July 2016
Vehicles involved Pedal cycle, LGV (<3.5t), Taxi/private hire
Incident factors Driver/rider left scene, Dooring
Police details Leicestershire

Sam Boulton was killed after he was struck first by a taxi door opened by passenger Mandy Chapple and then by a van (an incident similar to that in which Sam Harding was killed in 2011) driven by Nigel Ingham, who failed to stop. The taxi driver, Farook Bhikhu, had pulled up outside Leicester station when a passenger opened the rear offside door.

The scene of the collision is a multi-lane carriageway with double yellow lines and is little more than 100 yards from the dedicated drop-off area inside the station building.

The CPS initially declined to prosecute anyone for the incident, but reviewed their decision following pressure from Cycling UK.

In March 2017 Chapple pleaded guilty to opening a vehicle door so as to injure or endanger another person. She was fined £80 (plus £30 costs and £40 victim surcharge).

Bhikhu pleaded not guilty to the charge of permitting the opening of vehicle door so as to injure or endanger a person, but in June 2017 was found guilty by magistrates and was ordered to pay a £300 fine (plus £635 costs and a £30 victim surcharge). Magistrate Ben Faust noted that “because the car was parked on double yellow lines, there was an inherent danger leading to greater risk than had the car been parked in the designated drop off zone at the station.”

Ingram, a chronic alcoholic, was driving his van while approximately three times the drink drive limit. After the collision he drove to a supermarket to buy more alcohol and then walked home. His defence argued that his intoxication was not a factor, stating that “his standard of driving that day did not lead to the accident, did not cause the accident and did not impact on it happening.”

Ingram was not charged with causing Boulton’s death, but pleaded guilty to the charges of failing to stop at the scene of a collision and driving while over the alcohol limit. In March 2017 he was banned from driving for 28 months and given a 26 week prison sentence suspended for 12 months on condition of attending an alcohol treatment course.